Friday, January 05, 2007

Q&A with Claire in D.C.: "Common Ground"

Below is the official transcript from McCaskill's Jan. 4th media availability.

Not much news here. Lots of generalities about "common ground" and "middle moderate positions," on issues like tax policy, energy policy, farm policy. But let me know if you think otherwise.

McCaskill says she's not about to go trailblazing on legislation and wants to listen and learn from all that fine Senatorial wisdom talent. And she wants a lesson from Sen. Byrd on gardening.

Read away . . .

JANUARY 4, 2007
SPEAKER: SEN. CLAIRE MCCASKILL, D-MO.

MCCASKILL: Obviously, this is a thrilling day. Awfully hard to be in this place at this time and not be terribly excited, if not just about the opportunity to serve but about our democracy and the strength of our democracy. It's very nice to see everyone playing well together today. It's my hope that we can do it beyond a day of ceremonies; that we can be nice to one another and try to find some common ground and actually get something done.
And if you have any questions, that's right.
QUESTION: (inaudible) the possibility for compromise beyond today? I mean, there's obviously a lot of disagreements over everything from the minimum wage to the war in Iraq.
What's your assessment of the potential for compromise?
MCCASKILL: Well, this process was never designed to be pretty. It's always going to be difficult to forge a final version of any kind of legislation. Having said that, I think there is a critical group of people that are serving in the Senate now that want middle ground -- in both parties. And I think many of us that were elected this time bring that to this job. And so I'm hoping, with the addition of half a dozen or more people that are anxious to find the middle, that we can join with others who have been here previously to actually achieve it.
QUESTION: (OFF-MIKE)
MCCASKILL: I think that we can find common ground on -- certainly, I think on ethics we should be able to find common ground. I think we can find common ground on energy independence and making sure that renewable fuels become the main course instead of the appetizer or dessert. I think we can find common ground on trade issues in terms of strengthening our economy. I think we can even find common ground on tax policy. I think we can reach a compromise and hold onto those tax cuts that help the middle class and refocus some of those that help the very wealthy, to do even more stimulation for our economy.
QUESTION: And what about the White House? Do you think that they're going to -- you mentioned earlier that a lot of Republicans had concerns about a failed policy. (inaudible) a lot of clashes with the White House...
MCCASKILL: Well, I sense there may be a clash between the White House and Congress. But I don't think it will necessarily be totally partisan. I think, you know, it would be hard to be paying attention at all in this last election and not realize that there's a disconnect between the administration's policy in Iraq and the American people. And I think many Republicans sense that. I think many Republicans -- you know, obviously Chuck Hagel and Senator Warner, a long time ago, began beating that drum that our Iraq policy was failed. And I think that other Republicans have joined them. And so I really am optimistic we can find common ground in at least saying to the president, to the commander in chief, that the American people are due an explanation of why we have failed and why his new idea will be any better.
QUESTION: Democratic voters who got to the election have a lot of really high expectations just about what's going to happen now that Democrats are in charge.
Is the party able to -- you know, are they just expected to (inaudible), you think, at this point (inaudible) frustration over the policy in Iraq?
MCCASKILL: Well, I know the euphoria of winning will wear off quickly and the frustration of actually getting something done will be front and center. But I think the American public appreciates that this is not -- by design -- an efficient process. And we never intended it to be easy to pass laws in this country. But I do think that we will make progress. And I think, as long as we're making progress, I think the majority of Americans will be fine -- even the majority of the people in my party. There will be a few on the edges, but they're always cranky, you know -- on both sides. On the way right and the way left, you find people that are committed and passionate to issues and unwilling to even hear the word "compromise."
And, frankly, you can't get things done in this building if you aren't willing to embrace compromise.
QUESTION: Do you have any (inaudible) of what you're going to offer as a first piece of legislation (inaudible) bill?
MCCASKILL: I think, for the time being, I'm going to try to keep my head down, learn as much as I can. You know, when I looked around the room today at my colleagues on both sides of the aisle, there is so much knowledge and so much ability there and, really, a whole bunch of people that want to do the right thing for America. I'm going to try to listen and learn for a while. I don't think it's likely that I will be trying to blaze a course of my own in terms of legislation for a while. I want to try to be a good backbencher. I'm number 97, after all. I need to keep perspective here.
QUESTION: Are you signed up for the Byrd tutorial?
MCCASKILL: I would love the Byrd tutorial. You know, I would listen to Senator Byrd talk to me about anything, including his garden, if he will give me the time.
Thank you guys.
END

No comments: