- Merrill Lynch analysis that concluded oil prices would be 15% higher without biofuels
- U.S. Ag Dept. analysis that found that without ethanol, gas would be 35 cents higher
- Iowa State Study that found ethanol has lowered gas by 30 to 40 cents per gallon
- A.G. Edwards analyst asserting that ethanol blending could ultimately reflect lower prices at the pump
- American Farm Bureau president Bob Stallman: “The production of 6.5 billion gallons of ethanol in 2007 displaced the need for 228 million barrels of oil. That is equivalent to nearly half of the oil imported from Venezuela in 2007.”
The Hulshof campaign also pointed to a statement by Venezuela dictator Hugo Chavez condemning the U.S. for its "crazy" initiatives to produce ethanol.
"The promotion of biofuels, including Missouri’s ethanol mandate, is clearly working," said Scott Baker, communications director for Hulshof. "If not for ethanol, Missourians would be facing significantly higher prices at the pump, and we would have to import millions of additional barrels of oil from dictators like Hugo Chavez. Steelman’s plan is dangerous for America and extremely harmful to Missouri."