Sunday, February 03, 2008

The Barack Obama Interview

CALLS "SPECIAL INTERESTS" KEY DIFFERENCE WITH CLINTON
KY3 News interviewed Senator Barack Obama exclusively via satellite on Friday. Here are excerpts from our exchange:

Catanese - Senator Obama, you've been to St. Louis and Kansas City, but decided against a visit to conservative Springfield. If you are the unifying candidate, why not come to the conservative part of the state?
Obama -
I would love to come to Springfield, but we've got 22 other states, so we're doing our best. Obviously, you got Senator Clinton and President Clinton. It gives them a little bit of an advantage in terms of travel. You know that Missouri is important to me. I practically feel like I'm a Missourian, given that I'm from a neighboring state and we share a lot of the same issues. Downstate, I think is a predominantly rural area, agricultural area. And I know what is happening in downstate Illinois, is happening in portions of Missouri as well. People are losing jobs, young people are moving away. We've got to figure out how to reinvigorate the economy.

Catanese - Most people understand that you were opposed to the War in Iraq by now. We know that there are small differences between your healthcare plan and Senator Clinton's. Other than that, what's the biggest policy difference between the two of you?
Obama -
What I actually think the biggest difference is, is not just a policy issue, but how we change this country. I believe we have to reduce the influence of special interests and lobbyists in Washington. That's why I don't take PAC money. That's why I don't take money from federal registered lobbyists. Senator Clinton, I think, has a very different view. She thinks that's part of the game as its played in Washington and feels comfortable with that. I don't think we're going to get healthcare passed. I don't think we're going to get a tax code that provides tax relief to working families as opposed to CEOs, unless we got a change in who's in the room when these laws are being drafted. I have a track record of reducing that influence. Last year, I passed the toughest ethics reform since Watergate. That's the kind of leadership I want to show as President of the United States.

Catanese - Will you win John Edwards' endorsement?
Obama - I will actively seek John's endorsement. I think he ran a great campaign. I think he is an outstanding candidate. I'm hopeful that he recognizes that he was a candidate of change as am I. I think there's a lot of overlap in our agenda and I look forward to his support.

No comments: