Thursday, December 27, 2007

Blunt on '08: There's No Frontrunner


Ozarks Congressman Does Not Intend To Endorse
Seventh district Congressman Roy Blunt told the KY3 Political Notebook he does not intend to endorse a Republican candidate for president until a nominee emerges from the process.

"I don't have any intention to. There could be a set of circumstances that I don't imagine, but I don't think I will," Rep. Blunt said in an interview at KY3 studios.

With dreams of "being in the majority again," Blunt said he is trying to keep his focus on potential Republican candidates who could help him take back power in the House of Representatives.

"I know everybody running, some better than others. Most of them have been in the 7th district for some event over the last few years, and were well-received here. Several of them I consider friends of mine and I'll be glad to work for the nominee when that happens," Blunt said.

Still, explaining why there's no G.O.P. frontrunner this time around has been a head-scratcher. Blunt said the open race on both sides makes the end game more difficult to predict. "When you have a candidate on one side already decided, I think it makes it a little easier to coalesce around the opponent on the other side," he said.

A few months ago, Blunt predicted Hillary Clinton would be the Democratic nominee. He did not repeat that claim in our interview Wednesday. "With two open competitions, it makes it harder for either side to coalesce around . . . X would be the best person to run against whoever the nominee on the other side is going to be," he said.

"I don't think there's any frontrunner right now. I'd hate to bet my house on who the nominee's going to be," Blunt said.




No comments: