Thursday, January 31, 2008

Baby Face

Friends and colleagues have been teasing me about this all day, so now I share it with you.

The L.A. Times crafted their lead around a question I asked at the John Edwards rally Monday. The writer points out that it's a question the candidate has heard repeatedly. (That's fine. But in my defense, looksy what happened 24 hours later.) And then, in the third graph, describes me as a "baby face."

Ouch.

My friends are using it to take digs at me, my older colleagues say I will take that as a compliment when I reach their age, my mother wants to slap the dude.

It's all in name of descriptive journalism, and of course I can laugh at myself. I just wonder what this print dinosaur looks like;) . . .

Here's the beginning of the L.A. Times piece:

SPRINGFIELD, MO. -- John Edwards has heard the question for nearly a month from cable television correspondents, national newspaper reporters and small-town scribes. On this night in southwestern Missouri, it comes after a rally at a Teamsters hall, where the Democratic presidential candidate has just brought union workers, teachers and farmers to their feet, shouting in affirmation."Senator," says a local television reporter, in the post-rally quiet, "if you continue to take second and third place in these primaries, what are you going to do with your delegates at the convention?"

The former senator from North Carolina does not miss a beat. "I'm gonna be nominated president," Edwards says. When the baby-faced reporter persists, the candidate's eyes narrow as he drawls: "I'm gonna be president."

Here's my report on the Edwards rally where you can hear my question in context.

2 comments:

Busplunge said...

David, thanks for riding the bus!

busplunge

Matt said...

The Baby-Faced Political Hitman!

You need to get your business cards changed!