Monday, April 20, 2009

VIDEO: Ralph Manley Resigns

"I CANNOT GO ON"

In a shock to city officials and longtime residents, 10-year Springfield City Councilman Ralph Manley abruptly resigned his seat Monday night, after being unable to secure enough votes to be elected Mayor Pro Tem.

*WATCH THE RAW VIDEO OF MANLEY'S RESIGNATION ABOVE*

WATCH THE KY3 NEWS @ 10 REPORT HERE

BELOW: MY INTERVIEW WITH MANLEY IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING HIS RESIGNATION


"AN INSULT . . . TO MY INTEGRITY"
Ralph Manley said his decision to resign from City Council was made up before Monday night, but that the Mayor Pro Tem vote "advanced" his resignation.
"I think it was an insult to my honesty and integrity. To have a couple of people with bankruptcy running against me, was an insult to my intelligence, and I cannot put up with that part," Manley told KY3 News, in a direct slam at his former council colleagues.
During the vote to become Mayor Pro Tem, here's how the battle lines were drawn:
SUPPORTING DAN CHILES -- Mayor O'Neal, Nick Ibarra, Scott Bailes & Dan Chiles (4 votes)
SUPPORTING DOUG BURLISON -- Cindy Rushefsky, Bob Stephens & Doug Burlison (3 votes)
SUPPORTING RALPH MANLEY -- John Rush & Ralph Manley (2 votes)
5 votes are needed to become Mayor Pro Tem. After three rounds of voting, the issue was tabled, because no candidate could reach the 5 vote threshold. The council decided to put the issue off until Tuesday's council lunch.
When asked if he deserved to be Pro Tem, or was entitled to the position, Manley replied, "You can put it that way."
MAYOR O'NEAL REACTS: "I didn't know it was going to happen. I was kind of shocked and disappointed, because I think the world of Ralph, but obviously he's upset about something."

No comments: