Monday, September 25, 2006

Sen. Champion Begins to Hit Back at Harpool

So far the campaign for Springfield's state Senate seat has consisted of a consistent stream of press releases by Democratic challenger Doug Harpool.

Harpool's most recent volley accuses Sen. Norma Champion of "hiding her stand on key issues," like the minimum wage and embryonic stem cell research. "She's still waiting on party leadership to tell her what to say," blasts the headline of the release.

But now Champion's campaign seems to be gearing up with more responses, through releases. Champion is dismissing "Doug Harpool's Disingenuous Debate Request," and is calling on him to run a "clean campaign."

"Sen. Norma Champion dismissed Doug Harpool's attempts to jump start his campaign by making disingenuous debate requests designed to garner attention for himself rather than have a serious dialogue about the issues," reads the lede of a Champion release.

"He is obviously trailing in the polls and thinking of anything to get himself some attention," said Mike Barnett, Champion campaign spokesman. "This is not a genuine appeal to discuss issues of importance to Springfield families because Harpool and his allies have already shown they would prefer to make negative personal attacks. We are also calling on Harpool to take a clean campaign pledge," Barnett added.

The release then points out that Harpool is not a fresh-face, noting his other campaigns for statewide and federal offices.

Barnett said Champion is well defined on the issues and has already participated in public forums with Harpool. "The campaign has already accepted invitations for upcoming forums and more than likely, the two candidates will appear together again before the November election," Barnett said.

We would love to host a debate between Champion and Harpool strictly on the issues that could be viewed on our website. Consider this an open request to both campaigns for a debate at KY3.

5 comments:

David Catanese said...

Yes, you got me. I do have a Harpool bumper sticker on my desk, as well as a McCaskill sticker, Talent sticker, Jo Ann Emerson sticker, Jay Nixon sticker . . . and many, many more. I switch them up to make my wallpaper more colorful (I mean we do work in cubicles). But I've got lots of stickers, from all political parties, from many states around the country. Bottom line, I collect political stuff - stickers, buttons, all types of stuff, from anyone at anytime. I'll take any sticker offered to me. I understand why a particular shot of a sticker would lend you to believe I support a candidate. All I can tell you is, it is not meant to. It's my political decoration. Still, the shot on my desk was probably a mistake. Perception is important. But I'm sure I'll make more mistakes along the way. I just hope you'll judge me by my written work here on the blog and on KY3 News. By the way, can anybody get me a Champion sticker? I'd gladly stick it right next to my Harpool one.

Rev Chris M Fluharty said...

If you can't handle the hard questions get out of politics. I have never ducked a question from anyone in my two campaigns. Brian Lewis asked some hard questions and used them against me in his article on me. That is politics. If you are to affraid to debate then move out of the way so we can get the real answers to the issues. Norma is just to old to debate effectively. She relies heavily on her staff to keep her informed on issues and you can't use your staff in a debate. I believe she is more qualifed and a better choice for Missouri then Mr. Harpool, but she still should not dodge an invitation to debate.

Rev Chris M Fluharty said...

Here is the cold hard facts. The dems will not take the senate this election. So by Harpool winning, Springfield would have no voice in the senate. Her experience in committee is irreplaceable for our seniors, families and children. Harpool would be ignored and unheard. This is politics and the R by her name does make her more qualified. Not to say she'd do the best job. I agree she should have steped down and allowed Mark Wright to run. Now the GOP is grooming Bob Dixon as her replacment. She has skills that benifit Missouri that Harpool cannot offer right now. I will not vote for her because she is a puppet that has violated her oath of office by forcing parents to vaccinate their kids inspite of the proof many shots have led to Autism. She refused to allow for objections because Blunt was bought by the Drug companiies and she killed an amendment by Sen. Loudon that would let parents of older children not vaccinate their kids. When will they leran that their power comes from the people. My vote will not be casted for this abuser of my rights.

Rev Chris M Fluharty said...

a pro death democrat cannot win the 30th district. A moderate that is pro life could make it close but reality is this district is just to conservative for a democrat. I saw the debate and agree with you. The GOP can put up anybody with a clean image and win this distirct. Harpool is very ept, but his smear tactics are just making his job all the more difficult. Stick to the issues and her record of being a Blunt puppet and you can make a race of it. But your pit bulls like Mr. Davis are making you look very bad.

Rev Chris M Fluharty said...

How can it be GOP propaganda when I am no republican? All I can say is look at the history. The facts do not lie. It is possible for a Harpool victory but highly unlikely. And truthfully I hope there is a Harpool victory so maybe the GOP will get their heads out of the sand and start acting like real conservatives again.