Sunday, April 13, 2008

10 Quick Questions . . . With Sarah Steelman

An occasional series with Missouri pols

1. What's on your Ipod?
Steelman: I have mostly country on my ipod -- my current playlist has Tim McGraw, Kenny Chesney, Faith Hill, Rascal Flatts, Alison Kraus and Union Station, Toby Keith, Alan Jackson, George Strait , Johnny Cash, Trace Adkins and Patti Griffin. I also stick to my “old school favorites” – Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, and Jackson Browne. Dave Mathews Band is clearly in a class by itself and I am a huge fan.


2. What book are you currently reading?
Steelman: I just finished Joel Olsteen’s How to be a Better You and am currently reading a novel called Thirteen Moons. I am also reading The Reagan Diaries a little bit at a time.

3. Your husband gets most annoyed at you when . . .
Steelman: I asked him and it was very hard to get an answer because he says he’s too smart to lead with his chin. However, when pressed, he said my overzealous behavior at our son’s football games.


4. What's the speech you've given that you are most proud of?
Steelman: It is always an absolute honor to speak at the Memorial Day Service at Cedar Grove Cemetery in Salem, Missouri, paying tribute to those who gave the ultimate sacrifice for freedom – for their country.


5. Name a political figure who you idolize or highly respect.
Steelman: Ronald Reagan inspired me with his consistent and persistent belief in conservatism. When I was in college I organized a group of volunteers to work on his campaign in Iowa and still count that as one of the great experiences in my life. He still inspires me.


6. You’ve got a free weekend to do whatever you want in Missouri. Where do you go and what do you do?
Steelman: If I ever get a “free” weekend, I love to go fishing with my family on Sinking Creek in Shannon County, when there is enough water, or floating on the Current River – especially on a hot summer day.


7. Who’s a friend in the political sphere you go to for advice and why?
Steelman: I always seek advice from my dad, John Hearne, and always sought advice from my father in law, Dorman Steelman, before he passed away a year ago. My dad, who has been active in grassroot politics all his life has a deep abiding faith and a strong sense of right and wrong. And he has an amazing ability to always incorporate love into everything he does. He never preaches at me but when asked always offers a reasoned approach to resolving problems and thinking through issues – he always taught me the importance of "Duty, Honor, and Country". Dorman had a keen sense of justice and was a seeker of the truth – sometimes giving me advice that I would rather not hear but always wanting the best for me and the people of this state.


8. What’s the worst thing about living in Missouri?
Steelman: It’s a love hate relationship with the weather.


9. What’s a political issue you’d like to learn more about?
Steelman: I know brilliant men and women who were educated in one room school houses. We don't need layers of educational bureaucrats regulating how local school districts, teachers, and most importantly, parents, should educate our children. Dedicated teachers and motivated kids were enough to put the first man on the moon, so the question is why don't we cut the educational bureaucracy, quit just talking about local control and get back to an educational system that made this country great.


10. What political blogs or news websites do you click on first in the morning?
Steelman: I listen to the news while I'm making lunch and breakfast for my son and getting him to school and myself out the door so I don’t have time to click on a blog first thing in the morning. Later in the day I usually hit johncombest.com, ky3 political notebook and Post-Dispatch political fix to see what’s up.

No comments: