Thursday, June 03, 2010

Q&A with Darrell Moore

Q:  As a brand new Congressman, how do you plan to make southwest Missouri’s voice heard in a body of 435 people?

A:  I think the first thing you do is you study what’s going on. I’ve become a big fan of Paul Ryan.  I intend to introduce myself to him and make it clear that I think he has some good ideas that we ought to be following, not only as a party but for the whole country.  I think the first few weeks – and maybe months – I will be introducing myself, learning the key players, especially Paul Ryan – to let him know he has an ally in his corner.

Q: What’s the most important issue facing the Ozarks and the nation?  How do you intend to address it as a Congressman?

A: Obviously, it’s jobs, the economy.  Until we get the economic situation under control, we’re in trouble.  The number one problem in the country today is the fact that we run tremendous deficits, we’re not creating new jobs.  So I believe we have to get  the deficit under control, restrain federal spending, limit government size.  Adn then I think we need to eliminate taxes on capital gains, interest and dividends.

Q: How do you plan to cut through the bitterness and rancor of Capitol Hill so it’s not more of the same old debate?

A:  I think I have a public record on this. People know I have taken positions on issues, principled stands on issues, without being disagreeable. I think you can do that. I’ve always been courteous.  I listen to other people. I think that’s a key part of this thing is that we need to start listening to each other instead of following political agendas and trying to have our speaking points - like right now what’s going on in Washington.  Obviously, everyone’s posturing for the November election.  That’s not productive.

Q: What makes you the right person for this job?

A: I think the fact that I do have a proven history of public service. I have a record not only in public safety, of being tough on crime, but also as a chief justice agent, being smart on crime.  But the public knows I’ve been involved in other public policy issues, just not crime issues. But how can we make the future better for our kids?  So I’ve been involved with the community including the school system on improving school attendance. You may recall that was a little bit controversial. But that’s taken on. I’ve been involved in dealing with issues like underage drinking and other issues in the community that affect the quality of life. So I think I have a proven track record that I’m not a stranger or new to public policy issues that affect people. That I really do care about people and that I intend to pursue those issues as their next Congressman.

Learn more about Darrell Moore's campaign at his website.

No comments: