Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Death Penalty Debate: Schoeller vs. Brown

SUPREME COURT DECISION ON CHILD RAPE SPARKS STRONG REACTION ON BOTH SIDES

Watch Child Advocate Debate State Lawmaker
on KY3 News @ 10 HERE

Brown Opposes the Death Penalty for Child Rapists;
Schoeller Supports It

Barbara Brown: "I think it was a sound ruling that I feel comfortable with . . . National research tells us almost 90% of the time it's someone that the child knows, loves and trusts that does this to them, so that's not an incentive to turn that person in . . . I think the greater danger would be that less and less people would hotline their suspicions that someone was harming a child because the penalty would be so severe."

Rep. Shane Schoeller: "I think if you try to get into the mind of the criminal too much, you begin to obscure the purpose of the law . . . I don't think you can have all the what ifs, what ifs, if you are thinking about what we need to do to make sure we have a good society when it comes to people perpetuating the worst crime upon a child I can think of."


No comments: