Monday, March 10, 2008

Blunt: Low-Income Seniors Must File Taxes for Rebate

Gov. Matt Blunt is reminding low income seniors that they must file a 2007 federal tax return in order to receive a federal rebate check.

“We want every Missouri senior who is eligible for this tax refund to receive it,” Gov. Blunt said. “Seniors who may not normally file a federal income tax return must do so in order to receive this payment," Blunt said in a statement.

The economic stimulus bill will provide payments of up to $600 for individuals and $1,200 for couples. More than 130 million American families will benefit and the IRS will begin delivering the checks in May.

“Our concern is that Missouri seniors who would not ordinarily have to file an income tax return will not receive the payment,” said Jane Drummond, director of the Department of Health and Senior Services. “We want them to know they have to file a 2007 federal income tax return in order to get the payment. We also want Missouri seniors to know there are several free programs that can help them file a return.”

Drummond is referring to the Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) Program, which provides free tax help to people age 60 and older. As part of the program, AARP offers tax-aide counseling at more than 7,000 sites nationwide from February 1 through April 15. Senior Missourians can find an AARP Tax-Aide site near them by calling 1-888-227-7669, or visiting AARP’s Web site,

No comments: