Wednesday, January 30, 2008

"You Almost Changed My Mind"

"This Democratic Party hears you once again."
EDWARDS DROPS OUT

John Edwards told supporters in a New Orleans neighborhood that visits to Missouri, Oklahoma and Minnesota in the final hours of his campaign almost changed his mind about dropping out of the 2008 presidential race.

"I want to say a personal word to those I've seen literally in the last few days. Those I saw in Oklahoma yesterday, in Missouri, last night in Minnesota, who came to me and said 'Don't forget us, speak for us. We need your voice.' I want you to know that you almost changed my mind, because I hear your voice. I feel you, and your cause is our cause," Edwards said.

Edwards said he spoke to both Sen. Hillary Clinton and Sen. Barack Obama prior to his announcement and both have pledged to embrace his anti-poverty movement if elected to the presidency. He did not signal if he would endorse either candidate.

"This is the cause of my life and I now have their commitment to engage in this cause," Edwards said.

Before making his announcement, Edwards visited a homeless shelter in New Orleans. "We will never forget you. We will fight for you, we will stand up for you," Edwards said to those who struggle economically. "This Democratic Party hears you once again."

1 comment:

Sandy said...

It sucks that issues as important as elected someone for an important office comes down to the amount of money they have to run for that office.
I sort of hope Edwards would side with Obama or Clinton as VP.