Saturday, July 21, 2007

The Margaret Donnelly Profile

Margaret Donnelly is not an imposing presence physically.

When I first arrive at a Springfield restaurant to meet her -- a meeting requested and coordinated by some local Democrats -- this tiny, but seemingly warm woman reminds me more of my best friend's mother than a candidate about to jump into the race for Attorney General.

Her personality is in stark contrast to the current Attorney General. While Jay Nixon is a ball of fire, whose intensity can be seen on his face, Donnelly is reserved. She intently listens to my questions. She's extremely careful about her answers, pausing at times before she goes to far. But her calm and collected persona masks the fierce competitor that she first became as a middle child of 11 in Alton, Illinois.

"Being a child of 11 at the dinner table taught me two great lessons, to hold ground when you advocate your position, but also to negotiate when necessary," Donnelly says over pasta and salad.

Donnelly is jumping into a Democratic primary against House Minority Leader Jeff Harris. Both are hailed by their colleagues as smart, ambitious and two of the best interrogators of Republicans that the party has.

But it is clear Donnelly will run her primary race on experience.

She practiced family law in the St. Louis area for 20 years before getting elected to the Missouri House. Her speciality was family law. And as she lays out her agenda to me over the dinner table, her top priorities are no surprise: Working harder to keep kids away from abusive parents, improving collections in the child support system, targeting meth cases that involve kids, and developing new ways to head off sex offenders.

Donnelly's freshest idea is on product safety. "In light of news, the states need to begin to look at this. I'm not sure if the federal government will have the ability to handle this national problem, so if they don't step up to the plate, it's our job," Donnelly says.

How the state Attorney General's office could better protect our spinach and toothpaste remains unclear.

Rep. Harris' campaign website also holds a laundry list of issues he holds as priorities. From protecting seniors, to fighting the pollution of hog farms.

The question is if Donnelly and Harris differ more on substance or style.

Unsurprisingly, Donnelly says Jay Nixon has been a "very good" Attorney General, for focusing on crime and consumer fraud.

But what worthwhile Attorney General from any party wouldn't focus on those issues?

When I ask Donnelly if her office would be a continuation of the Nixon era, she says she's running on her own record. "20 years of experience fighting in the trenches, fighting for families and kids. That's what I bring. And I want to take it to a new level," she says without blinking.

I then ask her about her colleague, Jeff Harris. And I play devil's advocate. "If I'm a Democratic primary voter, why not go with the guy who lead my party? The guy who knows how to fight the other side? The guy who most people probably know more, has higher name recognition?," I ask. "He's been the leader of your party," I prod.

"So have I," Donnelly retorts. "I'm ranking member on the budget committee. I've been at the forefront fighting this Governor against his healthcare cuts and short-sighted budget decisions," Donnelly adds.

But what's the difference between her and Harris? I press.

At first, she ignores the Harris question again, and pushes forward with her stump speech.

"I stand up for what I believe in. No one doubts where I stand. I'm not insulting. I disagree without being disagreeable. I'm going to run my campaign with Jeff that way. He's a friend, but I'm going to work harder than any other candidate," she says.

Donnelly isn't about to trash her Democratic rival on the first day of the campaign. I don't expect her to. But she comes back to the E-word quickly.

"I bring a background and record and experience to this office," she says. "Look at both of our records. I stand on mine," she adds.

So who has the leg up? Donnelly's boosters will make the case that since she's from the St. Louis area rather than mid-Missouri, the initial geography boost goes to her. Harris backers claim that the Minority leader is the more moderate, and therefore electable candidate. While Harris once worked with Nixon, Donnelly has already met with Nixon's staff to make sure she is on an even playing field.

"They reassured me that I'd have the same resources available of everyone running," Donnelly says.

The elephant in the room is that Donnelly is a woman -- and the first woman to run for Attorney General. So does that matter? She ducks. But what's wrong with running as a woman? Hillary's doing it.

"Just as Hillary is certainly running on her record, that's what I want to do. But you recognize that it's historic that I'm the first woman doing it," Donnelly says, without endorsing any presidential candidate.

As the evening winds down, and we (and a few other Dems at the table) begin speaking on background and off-the-record, I can see that Donnelly is curious about history, journalism and horserace politics.

When I ask her why she's come to Springfield so soon, she gives the polite answer that Southwest Missouri is important.

Then a Democratic operative chimes in, a bit more candidly, "There are votes around this time that haven't been around before, and by 2008 who knows how many we can pick off?"

2008. The Year of the Woman? Even in the Ozarks?

By the way . . . A final note here. Some hyperpartisans may ask why I went to dinner with a candidate for office. The simple answer is, because I was asked, and found it to be a great opportunity. Just like I was asked to speak to the Greene County Republican Women and the Greater Ozarks Pachyderm Club (another G.O.P. group). These actual sitdowns with politicians and politicos are more enlightening, rewarding and useful than just grabbing the soundbite at the press conference. It humanizes the candidate and hopefully humanizes me as well. And to all campaign operatives: There ain't a candidate or group out there I wouldn't jump at sitting down with (for dinner or otherwise). And yes, of course I pay my own tab! I'm a journalist, my job is to learn as much about these people as possible. I think these sit-downs are a great way of doing that. Can you just imagine if political opponents actually did it more often?

2 comments:

justice said...

This woman, Margaret Donnelly participated in a knowingly wrong and injustice against the child and mother featured at:
http://shreddedsociety.com/Illegal_adoptions/adoption_and_safe_families_act.html

Note: copy and paste above address into your address bar.

The other Gal involved was attorney, Brian Dunlop, who is one of the most psycopathic and corrupt attorneys who have ever existed.

armyranger said...

Margaret Donnelly is the wrong person for this job. She and others have profited from our children in foaster care. Donnelly took the smiles off little childrens faces and now they live a nightmare. Innocent children left their loving homes and now live with complete strangers. Debra Scott, Margaret Donnelly, Mr WIlliams are the wrong role models for our children. These people have politically and financially profited from our children. Family court and DSS/CPS have destroyed our families long enough. Build more jails for this evil empire and throw away the key.

Robert Gipson
660-547-3048
www.myspace.com/armyrangerarmyranger