Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Gov. Blunt: "Romney's a Problem Solver"

I caught up with Gov. Matt Blunt last week about his unofficial endorsement of Gov. Mitt Romney for President.

Then came the ice.

So, this is a bit delayed, yet still relevant.

I began by asking Blunt if, by attending a fundraiser in Boston, he had "formally endorsed" Romney.

"I've been very involved in his effort," responded the Governor. "He has an exploratory committee. An exploratory committee is an exploratory process. Obviously, I'm trying to help the exploratory committee along. But his timetable drives some of what people that think he should run . . . be a great candidate need to do."

Why is he so involved in the Romney's effort?

"I think it's important. I think the next President will face a number of tremendous challenges, Jihadists, competition from China, there will be more intense than any other global competition we've faced before, serious issues of our global competitiveness. I think the next President needs to be somebody that's a proven problem solver and I think Gov. Romney is," Blunt said.

"And I think we're at a critical time in our nation's history, right now, most of my life, the U.S. has been the preeminent world power by almost any measure. But I have a son almost 2 years old. I worry that that the U.S. will be the preeminent power through most of his life and I think that has to be a real discussion as we near this presidential election. Really, where we're at as a nation, where we're at compared to our global competition, what we need to do, what problems we need to address, if we're going to remain the preeminent world power, and enjoy the quality of life that Americans and Missourians enjoy."

So does (Romney) being a Governor have a lot to do with your decision?

"I clearly know him personally better than I do any of the other candidates for President, I'm sure that does play into the decision."

Governor Blunt also added that he's running for anything in 2008, it would be Governor.

Then again, no candidate in recent memory has ever refused to be Vice President when asked.

When will he make the 2008 decision?

"At some point," he said.

1 comment:

boyd said...

It's been 47 years since a senator was elected president and I don't think there will be two senators running against each other this time, so the party with the governor will win, and that could be Romney.