Tuesday, October 03, 2006

The #136: A Contrast in Style More Than Substance

Rep. B.J. Marsh and his Democratic opponent James Owen certainly have different styles.

And their views are certainly sparking a debate in the campaign for the #136th district legislative seat.

From age, to education background, to campaign strategy, the two seem like polar opposites - except for their possible agreement on some key issues. Look closely at what they say about the ballot initiatives, for instance, and you'll find that they don't seem to have broad differences.

When I saw Owen in the Labor Day parade, he was running - almost sprinting from voter to voter - as if his life depended on this race. Since then, he says he's been keeping a rigorous door-to-door schedule, walking from Monday through Thursday nights, plus Saturdays. He says he has hit every house in the #136 district, with either face-to-face meetings, or literature drops.

B.J. Marsh admits he doesn't do as much door-to-door campaigning. He has battled illness, but says he has some people out doing legwork for him. He believes the people of the #136 have grown to know and respect him, and he's willing to run on that. Marsh is complimentary of his opponent, he says he doesn't believe in negative campaigning. And adds, if by chance, he loses, he will support Owen 100%.

Marsh is honest, almost to a fault, but believes his candid talk is what has helped get him re-elected and earn trust in the #136th.

"I want a strong Medicaid program to take care of the needy. I'm the lone duck out on that," Marsh says. "Everybody says make government smaller, I'm not sure that's as good as it sounds."

If re-elected, Marsh points to the seniority he would have. "I'd be number one in seniority in Jeff City. I'd be the only legislator who was there in the 80s, 90s and 2000s," Marsh says.

"My opponent I know, is a lot smarter than me. I don't have a college degree. Everything I do is on a common sense education. I really respect those who have more education than me. I wish I had more. But I think people up in the legislature know, I'm probably the most bipartisan legislator in the Capitol," Marsh says.

If he is to beat Marsh, Owen will have to woo Republicans. "I try to do a lot of my walking in more Republican parts. National issues are on the forefront of people's minds. But I also get a lot of, 'I voted for Matt Blunt in 2004 and I'm not happy,'" Owen says.

The eastern part of the district leans more Democratic, says Owen. But he says in the suburbs, "most people don't know who their state representative is."

Owen is trying to run a non-partisan campaign, stressing that he would be a more active legislator for the #136.

"He doesn't like to take positions on things. That's how he survives. He doesn't speak a lot in public or talk to reporters," Owen says. "He's coasting on name I.D. I don't think that's right. He's never been responsive to constituents. When I go and talk to people, they say they write him letters and call, and don't hear anything in return."

It's no secret that Marsh has struggled with health problems over the past year, causing him to take time away from the legislative session and political activities. Marsh was being treated out of state during the now infamous Medicaid vote. "He voiced up, but he wasn't there to vote," Owen points out. But, he like Owen, said if he was there, he would have voted against the Medicaid cuts.

Is Marsh's health an issue in this race?

Says Owen: "Absolutely not. I'm not interested in that. I think that's up to voters to decide."

No comments: