Monday, August 07, 2006

Talent: People Know Where I Stand On the Minimum Wage

HALFWAY, Mo. -- Senator Jim Talent said he'd like to see an increase in the minimum wage, but only as part of a bigger economic package that aids the local businesses that would have to carry the costs.

"I think what we have to understand is the small businesses that provide the entry level jobs, they don't have a drawer that just magically fills with cash. So whenever you put a mandate on them, there's a danger they'll pay for it by cutting jobs or wages in other areas," Talent told me in Halfway on Saturday.

Talent said he would only vote for a higher minimum wage if in was linked to a larger economic package. An example . . . reforming the death tax. Talent said that would help local farmers pass on their land to the next generation without a financial burden.

"People who say they want a better minimum wage won't let us help small business people," Talent said.

So how will Talent vote on a potential state ballot initiative that would raise the minimum wage?
He's not saying.

"I run my own campaign. That's a state ballot issue so I generally don't comment on them," Talent said.

But Talent even quickly noted he made an exception on the 2004 gay marriage amendment. I pointed out that he came out against this year's ballot measure to protect stem cell research.

"Right, but that's because that's so close to what we're doing in Washington," Talent replied.

Claire McCaskill and other Democrats believe the minimum wage could be a winning issue for them this year. "Senator Talent has had a pay raise every year he's been in the Senate and by the way, he's voted against the minimum wage 11 times. Yet for some reason, he's refusing to say how he's going to vote in November," McCaskill said.

McCaskill wants the minimum wage to be $6.50 in Missouri. "That is not going to cause businesses to flee to another state. It's higher in Illinois right now," McCaskill said.

"I've been in legislative position for 20 years. People know where I stand on the issue. I've talked in great depth about where I am on the minimum wage. I believe in doing my job, not telling the voters of the state how to do theirs," Talent said.

"If you look historically, I've pretty consistently refused to offer an opinion on (ballot issues)," Talent added.

No comments: