Saturday, July 08, 2006

P-D Poll Makes McCaskill Nervous

Because you asked . . .

One of our readers recently requested me to ask Claire McCaskill what she thought of the recent Zogby poll (published by the Wall Street Journal) that has her trailing Sen. Jim Talent by 5 points, 49%-44%.

That poll conflicts with a recent Research 2000 poll published by the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, which puts McCaskill up by 6 points, 49%-43%.

So we asked Claire, which one is right?

"I have no idea and frankly, this St. Louis Post-Dispatch poll made me nervous," McCaskill replied. "I'm used to being the underdog. I'm not really comfortable being that far ahead, this far out."

One thing McCaskill does predict: "I know . . . the election will be close."

McCaskill told me last fall she'd win by 2 points.

What will settle this polling standoff? Johncombest.com is reporting that a Rasmussen poll to be released Monday will show the race deadlocked at 42%.

So much for settling it.

No comments: