Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Q&A with Mike Moon, Republican candidate for Congress

By Joe Daues, KSPR News

Q:  As a brand new Congressman, how do you plan to make southwest Missouri’s voice heard in a body of 435 people?
A: 435 people in the Congress.  As you probably realize Joe, freshmen Congressmen probably sit on the fringe of the floor and they’re probably not going to be given a lot of emphasis and floor time. In fact, at the end of each day, they will generally, as historically is done, give one minute to each Congressman to say whatever they want to during the last minute. Probably, not a whole lot on the floor. But I will be making friends and meeting all the other Congressional leaders.

In fact, right now, I’m doing some comparison, contrast each Monday morning where I’m able to take a look at some conservatives, some not-so conservatives Congressional leaders and just determine what their view points are to get to know them beforehand. So when I get there, I’ll be a step ahead.

Q: What’s the most important issue facing the Ozarks and the nation?  How do you intend to address it as a Congressman?
A: There are lots of issues.  I believe that getting people back to work is one of them.  How do we create jobs in southwest Missouri?  Can the government in Washington, D.C., create jobs?  Yes they can.  In fact, in this economy, we’re losing jobs nationwide.  But the government is increasing jobs – that’s kind of strange.  They don’t produce a product; all they do is collect taxes.  As long as they collect taxes, they’ll be able to employ people.  When that’s stops, it’s going to be changed.  I think (reducing) taxation and reducing the regulation on companies and individuals will be what produces jobs and brings that back to the district.
 
Q: How do you plan to cut through the bitterness and rancor of Capitol Hill so it’s not more of the same old debate?
A: I’m not going to Congress to be popular.  I think I’m going to add to it. But I’m going to do it from a constitutional standpoint.  I believe the greatest charter ever written was the U.S. Constitution. It’s not being followed by the majority of Congressional leaders. So, I’m going to be holding my Constitution up just like I’ve got here right today and say, “Guys, we’ve got to follow it.  It’s the rulebook we have to follow.”
 
Q: What makes you the right person for this job?
A: I rub elbows and shoulders everyday with working people.  I know their concerns.  I’ve gained their trust.  I probably don’t have the biggest name recognition but I’m meeting  people who believe in what I’ve got to say.  Mikemoonforcongress.dom is where you need go look.

Learn more about Mike Moon's campaign at his website.
Find out where Mike Moon stands on nine key issues.

No comments: