Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Nope

"I STRUGGLED WITH MY DECISION"

After months of speculation and consideration, former state Treasurer Sarah Steelman told the KY3 Political Notebook late Tuesday that she will not run for U.S. Senate in 2010.

Earlier in the day, The Notebook reported that Steelman would not run for U.S. House, based on a move by a loyal adviser and fundraiser to sign on with Billy Long's 7th District campaign.

Steelman released a statement to The Notebook saying she won't pursue a campaign next year because she has unfinished business raising her youngest son.

"For months I have considered running for the U.S. Senate and I have been honored and gratified by people throughout the state and country who have encouraged me to run. I loved serving the people of Missouri as state Treasurer and a state Senator and I struggled with my decision because I know there is much work that needs to be done, or undone, in Washington," Steelman said.

"But, I have unfinished work here. Sam and Joe, our two oldest are in college. However, our youngest, Michael is 14 and I want to raise him here in Missouri -- in the heart of this country, not in Washington D.C.," Steelman said.

"To everything there is a season. This is my time to work hard as a private citizen, along with the growing number of like-minded citizens, to restore the conservative principles of freedom that made this the greatest country in the world," Steelman concluded.

Steelman's announcement likely clears away a competitive U.S. Senate primary challenge to Congressman Roy Blunt. It means she has no plans to pursue elected office in 2010. On the other hand, it will immediately begin subtle speculation about what options she may pursue in 2012, when both U.S. Sen. Claire McCaskill and Governor Jay Nixon will likely attempt re-election.




No comments: