Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Bond: Obama Standard On SCOTUS Nominees Not Mine

WHY BOND'S SUPPORTING SOTOMAYOR

In a floor speech Wednesday, Sen. Kit Bond outlined why he's supporting Judge Sonia Sotomayor to sit on the U.S. Supreme Court.

As first reported by The Notebook in mid-July, Bond's office indicated that the Senator would likely vote for her confirmation.

Excerpts from Bond's floor speech:

"I cannot forget that time, as President Obama did when he was Senate. I could easily say, as Senator Obama said, that I disagree with a nominee’s judicial approach, and that allows me to oppose the nominee of a different party. Luckily for President Obama, I do not agree with Senator Obama. I reject the Obama approach to nominees. While I reject the way Senator Obama approached nominations, that does not mean that I support the way Judge Sotomayor approaches judging."


"For my liberal friends I hope they remember this day when another qualified nominee is before the Senate who is conservative. The standard set by Senator Obama should not govern the Senate. As for Judge Sotomayor, she has the accomplishments and qualities that have always meant Senate confirmation for such a nomination. The Senate has reviewed her nomination and has asked her its questions. There has been no significant findings against her. There has been no public uprising against her. I do not believe that the Constitution tells me that I should refuse to support her merely because I disagree with her. I will support her. I will be proud for her, the community she represents and the American dream she shows possible. I will cast my vote in favor of the nomination of Judge Sotomayor, and I urge my colleagues to do the same."

No comments: