Monday, March 19, 2007

Huckabee Does "Real Time"

Just got through my DVR to catch this weekend's Real Time with Bill Maher on HBO to see that former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee was one of the guests . . .

Huckabee traded barbs with Maher, and also attempted to try a few "zingers" . . .

On his current campaign . . .
"Right now it's going to be more focused on message than who's raising money, because the if only criteria to run for President are raising money and being a celebrity, than Paris Hilton could be President."

On the chances of having two Presidents from Hope, Ark. . .
"I've got a great campaign slogan . . . Give us one more chance!"

On his remarks in 2005, when he said President Bush was doing "a magnificent job". . .
"I think there's been some areas where the President's got some challenges . . . Frankly there's been some issues that have been tough. Some of them have involved states, there have been a lot of areas where I think the federal government has usurped the responsibility of the states."

On Maher's jokes about the Vice President . . .
"I do have a message from Vice President Cheney. He's not upset about the things you've said. In fact, he'd like to take you hunting."

On the chances of having an atheist President . . .
"I think it's just better if a person is honest about who they are. I'd much rather have a person who is an atheist be honest and say 'I'm an atheist,' and get elected than a person who says 'I'm a Christian,' but doesn't live like it."

On polls that show Republicans aren't satisfied with the '08 field . . .
"I think that comes in time . . . I'm convinced that when Republican voters and national voters look at what I stand for, there's going to be a real shift. If I didn't believe that Bill, I'd pack it up and do something different."

On whether homosexuality is immoral . . .
"Frankly Bill, I'm a lot more worried about the fact that half the marriages in this country are failing . . . I think what we really need to be doing is focusing on how to make marriages stronger."

On gay marriage . . .
"I think marriage means one thing, it means a man and a woman in a relationship for life. We need to make that better before we try to experiment with new versions of it."

No comments: