Wednesday, January 17, 2007

The Slow Road Back



The lights are slowly coming back on for Springfield residents and surrounding areas hit by the already historic ice storm of 2007.

I spent another day with Missouri National Guard members, who continue to move from block-to-block, primarily in residential neighborhoods on the northside of Springfield, to chop up and remove debris that blanket and block roads.

I also spent time talking to many residents without power, roughing it out in their homes, and others who moved into shelters. I spoke with a utility crew from North Carolina that traveled 991 miles to help repair lines.

What am I hearing and seeing? People are cold, exhausted, and at times frustrated. Some streets and homes look ominous. Hundred-year-old trees have been uprooted; some have been tossed on top of houses and cars, smashing roofs and windows. Five days later, some residential roads remain impassable.

But the high spirits and positive attitude of the people outweigh the damage and destruction around them.

(Above, some images of Sgt. Bradley Mudge and his team of Guard Soldiers, working on the northside. They estimate their mission in the Springfield area will last between 7 and 10 days.)

2 comments:

Steven Reed said...

The Mayor talks of "cleaning up" I pray no one like senior citizens die from no heat. The parks department is getting ready to trim the trees? We were told by two city utility workers mon that we would have power on Estates and they said one tree needing cutting and they took off. No power yet---some streets just south of Sunshine behind the Tower Plaza radio how power lines every where.

If we had an attack---which we hope will never happen of course---but would we be ready? Time for the power lines to go under ground!

Cost too much? How much is this costing?

www.reedforcouncil.com

tom said...

I would like to commend the dedicated employees of CU. Yes there are still many without power in Springfield, however I doubt anyone is doing without. I have a houseful since our power came back on for good Monday AM while others a half block away still have nothing.
It has to be quite miserable working in these extremely cold conditions knowing that some people will only complain no matter what.
My hats OFF to those that are busting their rearends trying to get this mess cleaned up as fast as possible and may the citizens of Springfield appreciate the work you do to keep this city up and running.
Should our utilities be buried underground?? YES I believe so however I don't see it happening over night so until it happens to my block I'll take the precautions I can to prevent my trees from falling onto the power wires.

KY 3 I don't watch your news however I believe the coverage here on your blog is quite extensive so keep the people informed of the facts and allow them to form their own opinion.