Friday, October 27, 2006

Who is Mike Holzknecht?

He's apparently running for the District 28 State Senate seat against Sen. Delbert Scott.

He's an independent. But he's got enough money to be running television ads on KY3, (which I'm told ain't cheap.) And yes, that's what caught my eye. Somebody else who has seen his ads then asked me who he was. I couldn't tell them. But now I can tell you.

The 49-year-old Holzknecht is from Stockton and was appointed Hickory County Prosecutor by Governor John Ashcroft in 1988.

Holzknecht is now apparently a disillusioned conservative, eager to take on his party.

This is the message on his website . . .

"I am running against a 20-year incumbent Republican state senator who has loyally followed the Republican party line during the last ten years while a "corporate takeover" has engulfed our former party of principle. (There is no Democrat on the ballot for this Senate seat). Now big business calls the shots. Tobacco, pharmaceutical, insurance, big oil, and even the multi-billion dollar gambling industries wield the power in Jefferson City and within our Republican Party. Because I cannot follow the current party leadership in this regard, I am running as the Independent Candidate for State Senator."

Now I understand why I've been seeing so many Delbert Scott TV ads as well.

No comments: