Saturday, August 05, 2006

Wright Responds: I'm Too Independent For the Party Hierarchy

Rep. Mark Wright is responding tonight to a Republican newsletter urging the party faithful to vote AGAINST him this Tuesday in the G.O.P. state auditor primary.

Wright is calling the comments disappointing and misleading, and believes the motivation behind the public rebuke stems from his public comments that have been critical of Governor Blunt.

"I am deeply disappointed in this false and misleading statement by the Executive Director of the Missouri Republican Party, Mr. Jared Craighead. First and foremost, I have never said one disparaging remark about any of my primary opponents in the race for Auditor and my opponents can personally attest to this fact. I challenge Mr. Craighead to give one factual statement by me saying anything remotely negative about any of my opponents.
As a matter of fact, I have been complimented by many republicans around the state for being positive in my comments about my opponents in this primary," Wright said in a statement.


Wright said his specific plans to reform the way license fee offices are run have sparked a real debate within the Republican party and he said he is being punished for it.

In an interview with me at the Greene County Republican barbeque, Wright said it was unprecedented for the party to instruct people who not to vote for.

"I think there are certain members in our party who really sincerely believe I'll be too independent as the next state auditor," Wright said.

Still, he said he has heard from at least a dozen or more Republicans that believe the state party was out of line. "Even my fellow opponents think it's sad," Wright added.

In talking to advisers to Wright's rivals in the auditor's race, most feel bad for Wright's situation, but they also believe Wright's future in the party looks grim.

"Mark Wright's political career is effectively over, and I think that's sad, because I really like Mark," said one rival campaign strategist. "He got what he wanted, which was public attention for his comments made about the Governor. But it came right back at him."

Wright said his viability in the party remains strong and said he does have a future no matter what the outcome Tuesday. He said he plans to run for office again if he loses the auditor's race.

"I've already been approached to run for the Senate seat in four years," Wright said, referring to the seat currently held by Norma Champion.

But Republican insiders at the G.O.P. picnic doubt if the party regulars will allow that to happen.
One strategist said that the party favorite to succeed Champion in the 30th District Senate seat is Rep. Bob Dixon. "He's being groomed for it and he'll be the guy," said one Republican.

Still, Wright being Wright . . . he remains undeterred for now.

"Regardless of the actions of political hacks from either party, I will renew my vow to all Missourians: If elected as your next state auditor, I will be fair, effective, aggressive and bluntly speaking, someone who will be independent of politicians in Jefferson City," Wright wrote in his statement.

But one of Wright's most ardent supporters was equally blunt with me before I left the picnic:
"Mark's got a lot of fight in him, but we're hoping for a strong third place finish Tuesday. That would be a win for him."

2 comments:

Republichiqui said...

Anyone who sat at the Metro Republicans meeting last Thursday could see that Mark Wright was sincere--and was well received by the crowd.

I went in to listen to the debate with an open mind. In fact, I probably was the most skeptical of Wright as a candidate. But after hearing all four, Wright earned my consideration.

When asked how he would handle a controversial audit, Louden said he would hire an independent firm. Great--more expense and pass the buck.

Of the four, he would be my last choice. Like he said, he had nothing to lose if he didn't win the primary--because he still had a job. Okay, then...

Jackson and Thomas both made very good presentations. I applaud their efforts to join the fray. It's not easy to be a fresh face in the Republican Party.

Back to Wright: isn't it funny that the so called "party of inclusion" shuns a proved worker just because he disagrees with powers that be?

Let me look that up--something about freedom of speech? I could have sworn I read that somewhere...

Anonymous said...

Gee,,,
Dixon being groomed for Champion's seat? Will there be a dress rehearsal?


#30

David, look into Dixon's past//// his mother was Jean Dixon, former state representative, famous for the normal heart controversy.