Thursday, July 13, 2006

The Dessert: Wright Gets Miffed, Then Apologizes

Rep. Mark Wright wasn't happy that Democratic state Senate candidate Doug Harpool attended his press conference on license office reform Monday. And as soon as Wright walked in the room, you could tell.

"Did you bring Mr. Harpool with you?," Wright playfully asked me as he walked by. I thought that was that. After the press conference and after our interview with Harpool, Wright came up to me and asked why I was interviewing Harpool for the story. Wright cited comments on this blog to say that this writer obviously has a "perception problem," and favors Harpool and his policies. Wright noted that while "other stations" chose to interview an elected Democrat for their last story on the license fee proposal, I interviewed Harpool.

He was accusing me of bias. I was defending my integrity.

As I vigorously defended my dedication to being honest and fair in every story I pursue, Wright and I jousted for awhile about how to put together this story. "You could've interviewed Sara Lampe. She's elected. She's got more credibility than him," Wright said, referring to Harpool. I explained that I try to interview a variety of people from both parties on most stories. With limited time, it's impossible to include every possible side. For this story, I had interviewed Wright, a Republican, Harpool, a Democrat, a contractor who runs a fee office and a spokeswoman for the Department of Revenue. I was attempting to demonstrate my fairness. I also said it is important to interview candidates running for these offices to inform the public what their stances are. I feel it is just as important to hold challengers of both parties accountable for positions as it is to hold incumbents responsible for past votes.

The intense, but mostly friendly confrontation ended with a handshake, saying we'd agree to disagree on the content of my stories.

A few hours later, I received something that is very rare from any politician of either side: An apology. Rep. Wright called to tell me he was sorry for questioning my judgment. "I got a little testy and my nerves were rattled from a long day," Wright said.

He said he was concerned that Harpool would be "a major part of my story," and that he was more upset at Harpool than me. "I would personally never ever show up to a press conference I hadn't been invited to beforehand," Wright said. "I wouldn't do it if I was a Republican or Democrat. I wouldn't even think of it."

Wright said it was wrong for Harpool to attend out of simple respect. "If he wants to advocate for his position, fine. I'd appreciate if he not advance his plan or impose his views on our issue. But I understand, politics is politics," Wright said.

2 comments:

Takes two wings to fly straight said...

Wright sounds like he is more interested in credit then the issue. Harpool cares enough about the issue to hear what these Republican legislators have to say on the issue and Wright is mad because Harpool might get some of the credit? Harpool proposed these reforms before Wright but I heard Harpool say he welcomed the support. As far as credibility I suggest Wright look into Harpool's legislative record. He was the leader of Misosuri's last ethics reform movement and father of legislaton creating the Missouri Ethics commission. Like it or not that gives him credibility.

The Libertarian Guy said...

"government reform is an issue that BOTH parties ought to be able to embrace"

In theory, this is correct. In practice, however, the RepubliCrats are too busy making gov't bigger, more expensive to the taxpayer, and more intrusive to the individual.