Saturday, June 24, 2006

How I scared off a Democrat

In the middle of my Saturday yardwork, I was greeted by Emily, a Democratic field representative appearing to go door-to-door to talk to frequent voters about Claire McCaskill and Susan Montee.

Foolishly I guess, I advised her that I was a journalist and really couldn't disclose my political affiliations or support. But I did tell her I'd still like to hear her pitch. What better insight into a campaign than to hear what voters are hearing on their own front porch.

Nope -- she wouldn't have it. As if she'd just stumbled onto a bear in the woods, she slowly backed away and said she's not allowed to talk to journalists. She did leave me with literature from McCaskill and Montee (although she admitted ignorance about anyone else running in the auditor primary). I wished her good luck and we both returned to what we were doing before our encounter.

What's up with that?

I vote every election. Is my vote not worth as much to the campaign? You're 5 points down. My vote is just as good as anyone else's. Are Democrats scared their field folks will say the wrong thing to the wrong person? We don't bite. We ask questions. In Greene County, I would think you would want every Democrat vote you can get. How can you walk away from the opportunity to influence someone, to potentially put one (or more) in your column?

How bad do the Democrats want to win this one? I'll never know. They didn't want to talk to me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you think it's possible that a Republican going door-to-door would have the same reaction?

--A. Cline

Rev Chris M Fluharty said...

Wow are journalist that scary David? I happen to like talking to you guys, but you all are scared of me because I am not a republican or democrat. So I guess it can really go both ways. Just in case readers know who I am I left the Constitution Party because of leadership and the lack there of. So I am just a independent voter now.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like to me that she was just doing her job. With the media's track record, I wouldn't have talked with you either because I'm sure you would have misconstrued anything that was said.

Sounds like the Democrats want to win this one. How many Republican field operatives do you see out there in June. Looks like the Democrats are organized and getting things done.

Also, the state party endorsed Montee. The person running against her in the primary is someone they aren't even sure is a Democrat.