Wednesday, January 28, 2009

WT: Bond Will Support Holder

The Washington Times is reporting that Sen. Kit Bond will support Eric Holder's nomination for Attorney General because Holder has assured him privately that he will not prosecute former Bush administration officials involved in enhanced interrogation programs.
***
"I made it clear that trying to prosecute political leaders would generate a political firestorm the Obama administration doesn't need," Bond said in an interview. "I was concerned about previous statements he made and others had made. He gave me assurances that he would not take those steps that would cause major disruptions in our intelligence system or cause political warfare. We don't need that kind of political warfare. He gave me assurances he is looking forward. I believe he will look forward to keep the nation safe and not look backwards to prosecute intelligence operators who were fighting terror and kept our country safe since 9/11."

No comments: