Tuesday, September 12, 2006

All #134 Candidates Oppose Stem Cell Initiative

All three candidates in the #134 legislative district say they are opposed to a November ballot initiative designed to protect multiple forms of stem cell research.

Republican Jim Viebrock, Democrat Christopher Brown and Libertarian Keith Rodgers all tell me they will vote "no" on Amendment 2 this election day.

"There are not any safeguards to keep it from going in the embryonic direction. As long as they leave that door open, it's a no vote," Rep. Jim Viebrock said.

"I'm against the stem cell ballot initiative," Christopher Brown said. "I'm a pro-life candidate. A lot of people don't understand I can be pro-life and a Democrat at the same time. I have to prove myself to them."

Brown said that as he campaigns door-to-door, the biggest issue residents of the #134 district ask about is stem cell research. "They are basing their vote on the stem cell ballot initiative. That's the first question I get."

Libertarian Keith Rodgers is also opposed to the stem cell initiative because he believes a fertilized embryo defines a life.

"If you're just using adult stem cells, I'd be ok, but I'm against embryonic," Rodgers said. "I'd have to have some real assurances that there would not be any cloning of a human being, but I just have an odd feeling about the whole thing."

Rodgers said he would not have a problem if researchers wanted to create spare parts or organs.
"It's a tough one, but I tend to be cautious. I don't have much trust in government."

On the other hand, Viebrock clearly invokes his faith in his opposition. "We don't know when the soul is inserted. Is there a soul presence in the embryo? I don't know. I believe that life beings at conception, and I'm not in a position to play God. I'm not in the position to give man that decision."

I asked Viebrock if he had any problem with doing research on embryos that would be discarded anyway. But he stood firm.

"I'm for other types of stem cell research. We've had great success with umbilical cord. The discarded tissue during the delivery, they can have all they want. We've had reasonable success with adult stem cells," Viebrock said.

Rodgers said he believed that strong opposition in conservative southwest Missouri could sink the stem cell initiative. Viebrock agreed. He said the Missouri Coalition for Lifesaving Cures, which is pushing for the initiative's passage, is taking an all-or-nothing approach that could backfire.

"The fact they are not willing to exclude embryonic, it may cause it to fail," Viebrock said. "This group is not willing to just take a piece, and because of that I question their motives."

Recent polls have showed that a majority of Missourians favor the ballot initiative to protect embryonic stem cell research.

2 comments:

The Libertarian Guy said...

Unrelated to the topic, but for the benefit of the blog and its readers, here is a list of Libertarian candidate web sites and blogs in our political sphere:

gilmour2006.lpmo.org - Frank Gilmour for Senate

kevincraig.us - Kevin Craig for 7th Congressional

voterodgers134th.blogspot.com - Keith Rodgers for 134th House

votefortom.blogspot.com - Tom Martz, 139th House

votebillboone.com - Bill Boone, 14oth House

votemarkjones.com - Mark "Majic" Jones, Presiding Commissioner race

http://lpmo.org/people/candidates/ - list of all Missouri candidates.

The Libertarian Guy said...

Typo in the above list:

vote4tom.blogspot.com is the correct address for Tom's blog.